Pediatrics Question #38
Which gross motor skill(s) should a 7-month-old infant complete successfully? (Select all that apply.)
- Changes position from lying down to sitting.
- Pulls self-up to stand from sitting position.
- Sits down using hands to support themselves.
- Stands on feet with minimal support.
- Takes steps while holding onto furniture.
The correct answers are C and D. Sitting independently is a skill that many babies master between 7 to 9 months of age. They may experiment with pushing themselves into a tripod position being supported by one or both hands on the floor. At 7 months the infant has developed enough support to maintain a standing position for at least 5 seconds with assistance, they will begin to bounce while they’re standing. The child has not developed physically at 7 months to be able to take steps while holding onto furniture. Most infants will need to be pulled up into a sitting position by a grown-up until around month 11. Most infants are able to pull themselves up to a standing position from sitting between 8 to 10 months